Igreja Matriz de Barcelos
Church in Barcelos
The parish church of Barcelos, dedicated to Santa Maria Maior, is a 14th-century monument that still retains its original sturdy medieval appearance. It is adorned with some decorative and architectural features that showcase the imposition of the Gothic style onto a Romanesque structure.
The third Count of Barcelos, D. Pedro, initiated its construction, and his coat of arms can still be seen on the archivolts of the main doorway. The Romanesque capitals inside the church create a medieval atmosphere that contrasts with the azulejo panels covering the nave since 1721, depicting the life of the Virgin Mary. The various side chapels have baroque decoration, with the carved and gilded woodwork of the altars being the most noteworthy, and the high altar being the most elaborate. The chancel features Mannerist paintings depicting the Annunciation and the Adoration of the Shepherds.
Outside the church’s façade, close to it, stands the Barcelos Pillory.
The Igreja Matriz de Barcelos appears in our Complete Guide to Visiting Barcelos!
This website uses affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you!
Visiting Igreja Matriz de Barcelos
- Paço dos Duques - Museu Arqueológico de Barcelos (0.0) km
Historic Site and Museum in Barcelos
- Olaria de Barcelos (Ceramics Museum) (0.1) km
Museum in Barcelos
- Torre do Cimo da Vila (0.3) km
Tower in Barcelos
- Castro de S. Lourenço (11.9) km
Historic Site in Esposende
- Monastery of São Martinho de Tibães (12.3) km
Monastery in Braga
- Museu Municipal de Esposende (13.2) km
Museum in Esposende
- Termas Romanas do Alto da Cividade (16.1) km
Historic Site in Braga
- Arco da Porta Nova (16.2) km
City Gate in Braga
- Biscainhos Museum (16.2) km
Museum in Braga
- Museu D. Diogo de Sousa (16.3) km
Museum in Braga